Tuesday, November 05, 2019

t

I strode Heathgate, Gurney, Ketts
strode Britannia, Mons, Gilman, Gertrude
in the fierce sunshine
and there were huge strawberry plants
seemed taller than I was
and bending under their own weight
heavy with red fruit
brushing against my face
and I picked several large berries
and ate them hungrily
my chin stained red with
dripped brooks of sticky juice
and I passed you some feet ahead
at the foot of a limestone promontory
which we slowly ascended
a natural beauty spot
of coarse grasses
abutting through the cracks
the rock
a piled cairn
an elevation above the city
that doesn’t exist
a rough track
a small bridge over a dried up ford
hints of an industrial infrastructure
sealed mineshafts
rusted machinery
and we slowly ascended and sat
in the gravel and ate
the strawberries quietly and it
was wonderful and also
a dream.

No comments: