Sunday, November 24, 2019

__\::_screaming_for_mikey_:://["february"]


Budapest was thick with snow
my suede Chelsea boots
ruined with it
the spa in the City Park
crouched beneath grey sky
its Neo-Baroque stylings
its domes, cartouches
piled with inches of murky slush
refrozen, desolate
we watched oafish men of whom
we were two, women in one piece swimsuits
later roamed the city by tram
drank dark beer in bar rooms
lost at foosball to hustling youths
in stonewash denim
shot digestifs of Unicum
chain smoked in the hostel kitchen
my friend attempting to seduce
the girl he had met on an earlier trip
stained teeth, plainly indifferent
while I feigned manners to another
jeans so tight her eyes bulged
she reminded me of someone else
some former fantasy
and I took her email address but
never used it, kept it in my
wallet like an arsenal of deterrence
only imagined her body on
me like a garment
and when I woke the last morning
my friend – who always insisted
he needed bespoke plus sized rubbers
but in truth was simply ham-fisted – was in
tiny red briefs on the bunk below
his torso scarred from burning
trying to push himself against
and maybe into her great wall
of silence.

No comments: