Wednesday, October 30, 2019

s


We were friends I’d thought
had become such through work
without effort or demand and only 
time to fuel it
I’d hoped for the benefits
they talk about in the friendships of today
banter giving rise to the other
to sex acts performed casually
friends with benefits
though I ever fell foul of the
bureaucracy of benefit applications
and garnered nothing of the sort
from your abjectly plain face
and thin lips
we were friends though
and in the absence of benefits
or the conventional markers of attraction
the wish for straightforward coupling
one nighters in the daytime
occasional laughs
was soon replaced
and awkwardly
by what felt like love
as it would be whenever
I opened myself to the possibility
of feeling really anything at all
we were friends
though you know how I felt
the conflict of many loves
confessed in emails
we were friends
the compulsion was
became
to have you want to have me
or to know I could
and I recall the day after I had told you
that you were in the small list of only
three in the office who
I could desire in at least
an intellectual sense –
I could scarcely differentiate between
feeling something or
feeling as though I feel something –
you wore a near see-through dress
deliberately I thought I hoped
and through it I saw
the shape of your black underwear
the pant shape
the shape of the bra on your tits
so clearly it felt like observing
total nudity
a gesture I couldn’t help but
interpret as seductive
but we were friends then
had been
friends I’d thought
though now you’ve left me
without a word or explanation
and all of the honesty
the way I opened up
the trust
we were friends I’d thought
so I did open up and
trust too
all of it felt shameful
of a sudden
myself let myself down
but we had been
friends I mean
we had been
not now.

No comments: