Monday, January 27, 2020

" hey, grondelski " __ 006 __ the big kid's canto



\ The Big Kid’s Canto \


/ An Isosceles Of Flank /


You’re a mother, I know,
which is perhaps why I want you to hold me
to rest my head on
your very full breasts
be told to ‘pull myself together’
to have my hair stroked
to snaffle the stench of
nicotine and body spray
to pour me out a glass
and talk me into the darkness.
I was aroused when I saw that triangle of
your tan skin on the rooftop terrace
where your blouse rode up
and your jeans rode down
while you smoked and I drank
such a view of the castle!
and when I left to catch the last bus
I waited outside the ladies for you
in the sterile stairwell of the grimly clad
brutalist office block they never demolished
the smell of toner cartridges and Lynx and turkey
and jus and dry shampoo and detergent
where in festive flirtation drunk strangers
patted my beard like the acolytes
to my dumb prophet
the wisdom of five pints
the wisdom of the urinal
I waited so I could hold you and mumble goodbye,
for though you are bigoted by tradition
and of a cloth unrecognisable
to the cloth I have myself nurtured
you’re right for me
I feel a desperate love which –
let’s be honest –
is but boredom made flesh
and though I love the idea of love
I cannot for a moment imagine
the reality of the act of so doing.

No comments: